Sunday, January 25, 2009

Blastococcus blog

The geunus Blastococcus are Gram positive, aerobic, coccoid shaped cells that that can occur singly, in pairs, in tetrads, or in aggregates. These organisms are pink-orangish in color with a smooth or rough surface. These organisms often reproduce by budding and multiple fission. We have many organisms in our collection that match this description, however, there are a few that do not. Since there are only a few strains that we know of, I'm guessing that the organisms that we have may be some of the same strains. I guess I can say that I am pretty sure that the pinkish-orangish colonies growing on our plates are indeed Blastococcus strains. We just need to do further testing to confirm this. I have chosen strain 26, it has the same characteristics that I have described above.

Strain 26

4 comments:

  1. This is a test comment

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol at Cristi (sorry for the text talk)!
    So, now I am sure that Modestobacter will throw me off! I feel like I will know how to distinguish the other two genus from each other, but Modestobacter have strains that will resemble both (ie brown and pink in color)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cool thing about modestobacter is that you can actually test for versicolor by noting pigment changes on oligotrophic and copiotrophic media or by reducing nitrogen sources.

    ReplyDelete