Sunday, January 25, 2009

This week has been very crazy....

Unfortunately it is easier to try to describe a new species of bacteria than to described my experiences in the past week, so I will do just that. The genus I am assigned is Modestobacter which proves to be quite diverse in terms of colony morphology. Upon looking at the paper regarding M. multiseptatus, I automatically began looking at images with beige to pink colonies in the images from 1/12/09. However, M. versicolor has a pink color but over time changes to a dark brown pigment. This made my task much harder than I had thought. Both species have optimally temperatures ranges around 25oC, the incubation temperature, and both can grow in aerobic environments. The nutrient requirements, though listed, did not help me to distinguish which species was photographed due to the fact that I do not know the exact chemical composition of the media and which carbohydrates it is enriched in. Both grew in arid and dry regions of the world.

The images I believe this first imaged (strain 7) is M. multiseptatus based on the color and morphology which again is beige to pink, shiny, and irregular in shape.
Strain 7 I believe that the second image (strain 29) belongs to M. versicolor based on its dark brown color and slightly rough texture.
Strain 29

1 comment:

  1. I agree Modestobacter is definet]y diverse; hopefully some of the test we will perform will make it a little easier to categorize!

    ReplyDelete