Friday, April 24, 2009

Blog

All in all, I think writing an IJSEM paper was a good project for our class. I enjoyed reviewing everything that we've done during the semester and I'm sure this will help when studying for the final. Re-reading all of this information also made me realize how much our class has accomplished this semester....we really have learned a lot! I also liked learning how to write a scientific paper....all other papers I have written for biology classes have been lab reports. I think that turning in a rough draft had good and bad parts to it....I'm glad that Dr. Rainey was able to give us feedback on our papers and a chance to fix our mistakes....but at the same time I would have liked to just turn it in one time and be done. I also wished that we could have actually published something...maybe by writing a paper collectively as a class on the most unique strains. But, like I said initially, this was a good end-of-the-semester project and I would recommend Dr. Rainey requiring this for the next Biol 4126 class he teaches.

1 comment:

  1. The submission of the draft is like the initial submission a paper to IJSEM. In my 8 years as an editor at IJSEM I have never seen a paper accepted as first submitted. Papers always go back to authors for revision based on the comments of the editor and the reviewers. The authors must revise the paper and resubmit it before it can be published. So you are going through the complete process here.

    I can assure you that this class will actually publish a real paper from the data we collected in class. The data we still need will be collected during the summer and we hope to submit a paper in the Fall - everyone in class will be included on the authorline. In fact there maight be more than one paper...

    ReplyDelete