Friday, April 24, 2009

IJSEM

I believe that writing an IJSEM style paper is a great learning experience. For some of us writing this style of research paper will be becoming a major part of our Futures. I am also appreciative that for my first paper that I had someone there with a vast amount of experience in the area to be hard on me so that I can avoid similar mistakes in the future. This experience should be part of many more classes throughout our educational program at the university. The actual writing of the paper is straight forward some might even say it is cookie cutter in nature. Personally I was most worried about making a mistake in the sections that we smudge a little than I was in putting in any of my data that was retrieved from the experiments. Actual writing of the paper did take longer than expected trying to fine tune certain sections. After my consultation with Dr. Rainey much more tuning is in order before final drafts are to be turned in. Reading and understanding many different aspects of bacteria is needed to make a strong argument for ones case that they are correct in their conclusions. I can see how something as little as not being consistent with lettering for carbohydrates can cast doubt on the reliability of the conclusions of an author.

3 comments:

  1. By "we smudge a little" you are referring to us adding some chemotaxonomic data to your paper that is consistant with your described taxa and allowing you to justify your taxonomic conclusions. Of course we will have the real data to include before we submit the papers to IJSEM.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree it was difficult to include the chemotaxonomic data from the other papers. I had trouble figuring out how to put it in my own words because I wasn't sure what to change without totally messing up the report of the experiment.

    ReplyDelete