Sunday, March 1, 2009

Happy Mardi Gras!!

The extended weekend was very much enjoyed! I was in New Orleans from Saturday-Tuesday and it was a LOT of fun! I stayed at this hotel called the St. Vincent house on Magazine with some friends. It used to be a orphanage back in the day and its really old and creepy! I went to a bunch of parades and got some good beads as well as sunburn but the best part was the NOLA food! Since I was back Tuesday I went into the lab on Wednesday. Eugene, Dr. Rainey, and I streaked all 78 strains onto plates to be incubated at 10C since we had some difficulties with the incubator last time. We also streaked strains that there was no temperature data available due to contamination problems on media to be incubated at 25C, 30C, 37C, and 42C. Strains that were observed to grow on 42C were plated for incubation at 45C and 50C to see if they are able to grow at an even higher temperatures. We also streaked all 78 strains onto three different types of media containing either xylan, granular cellulose or AC ( I cant remember what it stands for and I think those are the names for X and CG). It was a lot of labeling and even more parafilming which unfortunately for them was done after I left for work! Hope everyone had a good weekend, see yall Monday!

2 comments:

  1. X = xylan
    AC = Avicell
    GC = granular cellulose

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds like you had the best of both worlds! :)

    ReplyDelete